Today, 12 November is the World Day against Obesity, an event aimed at informing and distracting the population about the need to take measures to prevent and treat overweight and obesity, a disease that is growing without discrimination, gender, age, social class or geographical area .
Obesity is excessive accumulation of body fat, which results in an increase in body weight, which is harmful to the health of people who suffer from it. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 39% of adults are overweight and 13% obese.
The severity of this condition is that an increase in body fat can lead to the emergence of many serious chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disorders, hypertension, and even some types of cancer.
The question is, how can we prevent excessive body weight and obesity from our home, with small changes that involve the whole family? These pathologies have several causes, but the basis for healthy weight is undoubtedly balanced, varied and healthy diet. It is not possible to achieve a balanced diet if we are not aware of what constitutes a healthy lifestyle, which is not an obsession with counting calories or the removal of food groups such as "flour", but learning to acquire all the nutrients needed for the body, choosing better foods we take it on the plate.
Some recommendations for the prevention of overweight and obesity include:
- Increase consumption fruits, from 2 to 3 per day: we can include them in breakfast and snack in cakes to reduce the hour between meals or as a dessert. Choose yourself fruit of the season which are more economical and provide us with the nutrients we need, depending on the time of year.
- Spend it Fresh salads with all meals (lunch and dinner), by increasing the consumption of vegetables and through them, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
- Spend it pulses at least 2 times a week. During this time, salads of lentils, beans, chick peas or soy can be prepared.
- Decrease consumption "White bread in rather those who are integral or with added coats of arms, oats, seeds, etc. Choose them for breakfast and / or snack, without enjoying meals.
- Reduce consumption sugar and replace it with sweeteners such as Stevia, which are more natural and calorie-free.
- Spend it lean meat cow, chicken, pig and fish and sea, where possible.
- Do not skip meals. Fractionation of whole-day intakes is essential in a healthy diet. At least we have to make 4 main meals in order to stimulate our metabolism.
- Spend it At least 8 glasses of water per day, in addition to infusions (mate or terriers). In addition, fruit juices with water can be selected and this reduces the consumption of non-alcoholic beverages and alcoholic beverages.
- Find out At least 50 minutes per day of physical activity, he always tries to adapt it to the rhythm of life and in particular to health, medical supervision and management of physical activity professionals.
In the fight against obesity, governments and various companies in the food industry play a very important role, however The first change must appear in us and thinking about how we care about our health and the consequences that it can bring. First, make the first step to start observing positive changes both in terms of body weight and quality of life. It joins this fight to improve the present and the future with less death due to obesity or disease that it causes.
Lic. Romina Krauss-Nutricionist
M.P. no. 147