WASHINGTON – The management of Trump believes that the military conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is too dangerous to cure American medical personnel for the treatment of patients with ebola there, they reported from the office.
An armed conflict between rebels and government units has emigrated nearly a million people to the Central African nation. While US officials advised the Democratic Republic of the Congo Government, US State Secretaries took experts from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, specializing in the treatment of deadly virus from remote areas to safer cities.
CDC Director Robert Redfield said CDC health workers should remain in the outbreak zone, but Trump administration officials ignored this decision due to a greater crackdown on violence.
The World Health Organization and Doctors Without Borders still maintain their presence in the country. The current outbreak in the provinces of North Kivu and Ituri is the 10th place in the country since the discovery of the virus there in 1976 near the Ebola River.
The ninth moved 780 kilometers in the Equator region, and the country was at the end of July.
International public health officials say CDC's presence in the outbreak area would be extremely useful, as its contingent includes the world's most experienced ebola epidemiologists.
In the area so far, at least 300 cases and more than 170 deaths have been reported, the CDC said. But US officials said in a conference call with journalists on Wednesday that firefighters also appeared in the area, as did the previous week.
The area was marked by considerable violence, with health professionals struggling to fight the deadly virus. Ebola causes fever, diarrhea, vomiting and internal bleeding and can be spread by body fluids, including carcasses. The mortality rate varies from village to village, but is generally around 50%.
Health professionals are struggling to convince the local population to abandon traditional funeral practices to prevent further infection.
The outbreak is still relatively small and far from being compared with the 2014-15 epidemic in the West African countries of Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. This outbreak, which was the largest ever recorded, has hit major population zones, such as Monrovia, Liberia and Conakry, Guinea. The entire epidemic has spread to almost 29,000 cases and 11,300 deaths per CDC.
This early outbreak has led to isolated cases in the US and Europe, particularly among healthcare professionals and others diagnosed after a trip from Africa. Consequently, one of the priorities of US officials is to prevent the spread of the disease to neighboring countries, such as Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda and South Sudan.
In recent months, villagers in the village of DRC slept a medical center and attacked the team that had given the vaccine.
"Attacks appear and continue," one senior US official said. "Security situation does not improve."
The mere fact that the vaccines are given is a surprising progress since the outbreak of West Africa. Medical tests have shown solid evidence of the efficacy of the vaccine
Merck & Co. Inc.,
who initiated the procedure for obtaining authorization from the Food and Drug Administration. The US National Health Service, which works with health professionals and doctors of the Ministry of Health of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, is also planning to test other vaccines and treatments.
US officials have estimated that 29,000 doses of Merck have already been received in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The strategy was to take care of the vaccination of people who are in contact with patients with ebola and their contacts.
Write on Thomas M. Burton at [email protected]