Fatal brain-eating Amoeba could come from woman's nety pot


Seattle (CNN) – a Seattle woman rinsed her symbols with tap water. A year later, she died from a brain-eating Amoeba.

Her case is reported this week in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases.

The 69-year-old, whose name is not given, has a lingering sine infection. For a month, she tried to get rid of it using a nee pot with tap water instead of sterile water, as is recommended.

Nety pots are used to pour cannine into one noostril and out of the other to irrigate the seduce, usually to fight allergies or infections.

According to the doctors who treated the woman, the non-sterile they used was to get Balamuthia mandrillaris, a Amoeba, which over the course of weeks to months can cause a very rare and almost permanent fatal infection In the brain.

Once in her body, the Amoeba slowly went about his deadly job.

First, she developed a raised, red sore on the bridge of her nose. Doctors thought it was a rash and prescribed antibiotic ointment, but provided no relief. Over the course of a year, dermatologists hunt for a diagnosis.

Therefore, the left side of the woman's body began to shake. She has experienced a seizure that weakens her left arm. A card scan showed an abnormal damage in her brain that indicated that you might have a tumor, so the doctors sent a sample test pattern.

Over the next several days, Scans revealed that what was happening in her brain was worse. The mass is growing, and the new solution began to show up.

Finally, a Neurosurgan in Swedish Medical Center, where the woman was treated, opened her skull to examine her brain and found that she was infected with Amoebae.

The US It. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Rashed the Anti-Amoeba drug Miltefosine to Seattle to try to save the woman's life, but she fell into a coma and died.

According to the CDC, most cases of Balamuthia Mandillaris are not diagnosed until immediately before death or after death, so the doctors do not have a lot of experience treating the Amoeba and learning little about how a person is infected.

The Amiba was discovered in 1986. Since 1993, the CDC says, there were at least 70 cases in the United States.

As in the seathe women fall, these infections are "almost uniformly fatal," with a death rate of more than 89 percent, according to the doctors you treated and the CDC.

The Amoeba is similar to neegleria fowlery, which is the culprit in some high-profile cases.

In 2011, the Louisiana population has shown residents not to use non-utilized tapered water in naughty pots after the dummies of two people who are exposed to Neerlandia Foulery while flying their nasal passages. An official trust users to fill the pots only with distilled, sterile or previously boiled water, and to clean and dry them after each use.

"Improper nasal irrigation is reported as a method of infection for the comparatively insidious Amoeba," the doctors say in the research paper about the Seattle woman. "This president led us to suspect the same route of entry for the … Amoeba in our case."

Women's doctors say they could not detect infection to their nut pot, as the water supply to her home was not tested for the amoeba. They hope her case will allow other doctors know how to think of an amibous infection if a patient gets a sore or rash on the nose after rinsing their sinuses.

Christie Maki, a spokeswoman for the Washington State Department of Health, said in an email that "large urban water supplies … have sound source of water protection programs" and treatment programs, and noted that "well-protected groundwater supplies are logically expected To be released from such great Amoeba "such as Balamuthya.


Source link