England’s first Audi in South Africa abandoned after coveted cases between hotel staff cricket news



England returns two ‘unconfirmed positive tests’ for coronavirus with touring party isolating themselves in their hotel rooms; No news yet about the rest of the series, with games scheduled for Cape Town on Monday and Wednesday

Last Updated: 20/06/20 09:47

South Africa's first audio against England is abandoned after two members of hotel staff tested positive for coronavirus

South Africa’s first audio against England is abandoned after two members of hotel staff tested positive for coronavirus

England’s first audition against South Africa at Porrell was abandoned after two members of the staff hotel tested positive for Covid 19, with two members of England’s touring party since returning “unconfirmed positive results”.

A statement from the England and Wales Cricket Board read: “The decision was taken after two hotel staff members tested positive for COVID-19. As a precaution, the England players and management conducted an additional round of PCR tests on Saturday evening.

“Following the test results, two members of the England Touring Party have returned unconfirmed positive tests for COVID-19. The players and management are now self-isolating in their rooms until further advice from the medical teams.”

The ECB also said that a decision on the final two matches of the series – scheduled for Cape Town Monday and Wednesday – will be made once the results of the test are confirmed independently by medical experts.

Ashley Giles, the managing director of men’s cricket in England, said: “We regret that we can not play in today’s ODI, but the welfare of players and support staff is our main concern. From both teams was that this game Should not happen.

“We remain in constant dialogue with Cricket South Africa and will continue to work closely with them to determine how best to move forward.”

The series was on Sunday at Boland Park in Paarl

The series was on Sunday at Boland Park in Paarl

South Africa’s cricket director, Graeme Smith, said: “CSA is doing everything in our power to ensure that our top priority, which is the health, safety and well-being of players, support staff and everyone involved in the series is safeguarded.

With this in mind, we have made the joint decision to cancel today’s match. We are deeply sorry for the situation we find ourselves in after the amount of time and energy that was put into place to host a successful tour .

“We are in constant talks with the ECB as we navigate the situation under the guidance of our combined medical teams.”

Sky Sports Cricket’s Michael Atherton said: “There is a suspicion that the results may be false positive – whether the readings are unusual, who knows? They have sent the results to be confirmed or otherwise and this will be key.

“It is very difficult to see that the Games and the Tour will continue if two members of the Touring Party are confirmed to be positive. If they are false positive and the Touring Party is clear, there may be a possibility to finish the Tour.

I thought [two games] This is the absolute best we can hope for – there is no way you will get three games now, I do not think this is feasible.

“Players want a little breathing space if the results come back as false positives to be assured that everything is okay, so pushing them back two days to Tuesday, Wednesday would allow this.

“But it all depends on the two tests. If they come back as confirmed positives, I’m afraid the tour has been done and there are significant question marks about the players having to stay.

Roy Davis, general manager of the Vineyard Hotel, issued a statement revealing that staff members had been tested Friday and have since been isolated.

“The Vineyard Hotel can confirm that two staff members were tested positive for Kovid-19 on Friday, December 4 after the positive test of a South African player on Thursday, December 3,” he said.

“At this stage, it is not clear how the staff members are infected because they have not left the bio-safe area since November 16 and they do not work in the same team or in the same area. Our Covid response team is trying to Establishing all facts and contact tracing are underway.

“Our main priority is the safety and well-being of our staff and guests, and we have put all our resources and efforts into investigating and resolving the situation.

“Both members of staff and a player who have also tested positive on Friday are now isolated in apartments apartments some distance from the hotel that have been sterilized and available for this purpose.”




Source link