From the cancellation of a new game to a pushed final release date.
By Colin Stevens
Sonia released Raising Kratos this morning, a feature-length documentary following Santa Monica Studio's development of God of War for PlayStation 4. This nearly 2-hour documentary covers the entire production cycle of the game, from demo to demo Matches to the game went gold.
Below are 37 things we learned from God of War – Rising Kratos, which can be watched in its entirety by the YouTube PlayStation YouTube.
Spoiler Warning: Spoilers for God of War Ahead.
1) Director Cori Barlog gave an early presentation on the next God of War at the Old Pen Station Santa Monica Studio Place on August 14, 2013, at which point everyone on the team is working on "International 7," a new (and Finally canceled) IP.
2) According to the gameplay animation, Mehdi Yssef, initial ideas for internal 7 are very different to the end product. It was "gonna be futuristic, they were gonna have guns, we're gonna do something completely different."
3) Internal 7 was in pre-production for "close to 36 months" according to the head of Santa Monica Studio Shannon Stud Studio.
4) That group would then inherit the God of War: Ascension team and "really put the pedal to the metal."
Internal 7 was in "close to 36 months" preservation
5) Inside 7 is the primary focus studio, but the new god of war had a relatively small, incubating team led by Barlog.
6) It was decided to turn Santa Monica into a "1.5 Team" studio, where two larger IPs would be developed under the same roof, and those teams would return and export resources.
7) In 2013, the studio is set to launch a new office in its current "The Reserve," moving in the summer of 2014.
8) Likeoffs hit Santa Monica Studio in February 2014 due to the cancellation of internal 7. "It was finished like a dream that died, literally at the moment," said Studstill.
9) The God of War team then brought 110-120 people from the internal 7 team around the time the studio began moving into the reserve.
10) According to Barlog, they have to figure out "how to keep them occupied and figure out, besides just the concept of the game – what is the new pipeline? What is the engine … it was in a lifetime Position, you don't have anything to keep people busy. "
Free Struggles and Developments
11) According to SVP of Worldwide Studios America SIE Scott Rohde, there was studiel's idea to "bring Cory back as one of the world's original vision holders of God of war, and give him time to really come up with & # 39; How can we reinvent the franchise? & # 39; "
Initially, the child in God of war is not even gonna be [Kratos’] Child. "
12) After Ascension, Santa Monica checked as fans felt about God of war and, according to Barlog, "the overwhelming vibe is that they are done with Kratos. Kratos or ought to go away or he needed a fresh start."
13) Initially, the child of God is not even gonna be [Kratos’] Child, "said Barlog.
(14) The first pitch balllog has involved Kratos walking through the desert, because at this time the game is set in Egypt.
15) Short kg of Kratos footage running through a cave with a torch. Once he gets to the entrance, he turns around and says, "We have a long journey ahead."
Some of this picture was shown in the announcing video of rising Kratos, and Barlogi explained it was designed to be a teaser included in God of War 3 remastered for PS4, but they ran out of time to get it on Disk.
The final shot of the unreleased teaser.
16) Casting and moving began as early as November 2014.
17) When Atreus actor made his sunny debut first, he thought it was a movie and was confused when he found it was a game – "We only have a fire scene or something I hardly remember."
18) God of War was first playable at an early build in 2015.
(19) President of the world, visiting studios Shui Yoshida in March 2015, according to Barlog, he was "horrified how bad it was."
20) At one point, the team was allegedly about a month away from giving up trying to find a new actor from Kratos.
21) According to Christian Judge, who finally played Kratos, "I wasn't really sold out for him," but after reading the script, he asked his agent "I thought you said this was a video game?"
Shuhii Yoshida was allegedly "horrified it was."
22) Many team members took a Nordic research trip in July 2015.
23) Composer Bear McCreary used an Icelandic choir to sing in old-fashioned phonetic.
24) One of the last things McCreary put in when composing the main theme was the bass-hard section known for.
25) In October 2015, some actors and crew went to the California Survival School in LA to get the idea of how people survived in the pre-Viking era.
26) In Earl God of War Games, Barlog wrote the first few drafts with his father to help figure out the struggle of Kratos and Zeus, a father-son story. However, the new father-son story is "from what other angle, the son's pretty father."
27) Combat Designer Jackwellin Kate Seaman (now senior combat designer) hears She was the first woman in combat design team in the history of [Santa Monica] Studio. When I heard that, I was walking – that's actually really cool, that's & # 39; Not scary, it's cool! & # 39; "
28) Are Santa Monica employees not able to identify anything like employees at the beginning of E3 2016, before and during and at Sony Press Conference where they showed God of War.
Bring it home
29) Progress following e3 picked up, and game testers initially felt atreus was overpowered during playtesting. Santa Monica began "haunting in forcing people to have to use [Kratos’] Sun to create opportunities. "
30) Judge remembers the recording of the blades of Chaos retrieval scene to pull off a scab. "A lot of this performance, for me, is a love letter to my kids, and it's an apology …" he said. "I had read through this remarkable adventure and the one thing I got out of it was this character's love for his son."
31st of January, the release day for God of war was originally going to be March 13, 2018 – 11 years to the day after God of War II appeared.
At one point, there are 3,878 fully known open bugs in the database.
32) Sony was due to release its release date in January of this year, but its release was finally pushed back to April 20, 2018, but it was clear that the team was not going to be able to fix all its beats in time.
33) At one point, there are 3,878 fully known open bugs in the database.
34) When they were "supposed to have zero bugs," it was after 2006 to take care of. Some of them involved a whole dragon climbing through the land and a log walking on its own.
35) The day of the release of the gold champion version of the game moved from January 26 to March 15, 2018. On this day, Quality Assurance is testing around the clock, new problems coming in, each is constantly evaluating new bugs and hoping The solid build has zero critical issues.
36) Barlog himself pressed the button to burn the God of War's gold master disk.
37) Barlog said to his team, "I believe it's a first step in many, many games that we want to make that, I think, really redefine what this is the studio."
For more on the development of God of war, read the full story behind God of War famous e3 2016 Discover the demo and as God of War's script was recited a year after development.
You can also check out a combat designer breaking down God of War's first deep chef fight, entertaining bugs from God of War's development, and episode 572 of podcast Behind where we looked back at God of War one year after that. Released with Cory Barlog.
Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected]
Colin Stevens is a news writer for Ign and he usually recommends watching the full documentary. Follow him on Twitter.